Sunday, July 18, 2010

A little religion for the soul...

Let's be frank, Alabama is part of "The Bible Belt." This label has, in the past, had a lot of negative connotation attached to it for me. Honestly, I'm not keen on 'Bible-Beaters' or anyone who feels they should tell me I'm going to hell for not following their religion. Honestly, I dislike being told I'm damned by Christians as much as I dislike Muslims telling me I'm an infidel. "Enjoy your religion and keep it to yourself. Leave me out of it." - That's pretty much my motto these days.

Anyhow, I discovered some endearing religious qualities while down here this time. While ignoring anyone saying, "they're just gonna go to hell," I realized that death down here has more meaning.

To put this in perspective, Southern funerals (especially black ones, but not only black ones from what I understand) are all-day 'events' (and I do not mean that term lightly). Funerals are busy to the point of lines extending outside and past the parking lots. EVERYONE stops for a funeral procession line of cars... it does not matter what side of the road you're on. Often times, the family involved spends the entire morning and afternoon dealing with the funeral to come home and find that other family members have prepared an entire feast. All mourners return from the funeral and burial service to the house to eat. This incredible amount of support astounds me. It's something I think, as a Yankee, we could sorely use in the North. We're often too busy being polite and letting everyone 'have alone time' that we're not there to support people in a time of loss... when they need others the most.

Also of note, the cemeteries down here are amazing. Nearly every tombstone or grave markers has a bouquet of silk flowers on it -and not faded ones from last year. Families often take turns bringing fresh unfaded flowers to put on the graves here. I think about the tombstones at home that often have nothing on them. I think of my northern relatives who have died and I don't even see their tombs yearly... some not since they were buried. Is it because we're in a hurry that we never stop to take care of our dead or is it some religious difference? It just makes me wonder.

Call this the "Bible Belt" and take whichever connotation you prefer, there is something to be said for religion that brings people closer together.

No comments:

Post a Comment